When you make the switch to a clean electric vehicle (EV), you need a power source to keep up with your car’s electric demands. Moving forward with an EV charging station installation in Katy or West Houston can help you get the most out of your car.
At West Houston Electric, our team will install electric vehicle service equipment (EVSE) that fits your needs. As a general rule of thumb, having EVSE that can handle higher amperage will provide more mile per charge, per hour.
For example, 30-amp capacity equipment will add 30 miles per hour of charge. However, these higher amp units also require a dedicated circuit breaker so they do not disrupt the normal flow of electricity in your home.
What Is an EV Charging Station
A Level 2 Charging unit (also known as electric vehicle service equipment or "EVSE") are electric vehicle charging systems that connect to your home's electrical system. They speed up the charging time of a depleted EV battery from a full day to matter of hours.
What Maintenance is Required for a Home EV Charging Station?
Home EV charging stations are essential for electric vehicle owners to conveniently recharge their cars at home. To ensure the longevity and efficient operation of your home EV charging station, some maintenance is required. Regular maintenance helps prevent issues and ensures safety during use.
Here's a breakdown of the maintenance tasks you should consider for your home EV charging station:
- Visual Inspection: Periodically check the charging station for any visible signs of wear, damage, or loose components. Look for frayed wires, cracked casings, or loose connectors. If you notice any issues, it's important to address them promptly.
- Cable Inspection: Examine the charging cable for any damage, such as cuts, kinks, or exposed wires. Damaged cables can pose safety hazards and should be replaced if necessary.
- Cleaning: Keep the charging station and connectors clean from dirt, debris, and moisture. A clean station ensures a secure connection and prevents corrosion over time.
- Tighten Connections: Ensure that all electrical connections are secure. Loose connections can lead to inefficient charging or even electrical hazards.
- Firmware Updates: Some charging stations may have software or firmware that can be updated to improve performance or security. Check the manufacturer's recommendations for any available updates.
- Testing: Regularly test the charging station to verify that it is functioning correctly. Plug in your electric vehicle and monitor the charging process to confirm that it starts and stops as expected.
How West Houston Electric Can Help
The best way to take advantage of your electric vehicle is to have an electric car charging station installed in your Katy or West Houston home. This provides the greatest level of ease and convenience and will allow you to get the greatest amount of benefit out of your electric vehicle.
It’s important to trust the installation of an EV charger to a professional electrician. Level 2 EV chargers require a certain amount of amperage, as well as a special installation process. At West Houston Electric, our Katy electric vehicle charger installation experts are well-versed and consistently trained in the latest EV charging station installation techniques and processes. This ensure that we are able to offer safe, affordable, and reliable services.
We can assist you with the following:
- Ensuring your home’s electrical panel is properly equipped to handle your EV charger
- Upgrading your home’s electrical panel if needed
- Assisting you in selecting the right EV charger/EVSE for your needs
- Making sure your electric car charging station is up to code and working properly
- Conducting thorough electrical inspections to ensure the highest level of safety
We offer fair, straightforward pricing and are happy to provide a free estimate upon request. We also offer electrical financing. Get in touch with us today to learn more about our electric vehicle charging station services in Katy and the surrounding areas!